Friday, August 14, 2026

What I Read In July: Part One

So, I thought July was gonna be a relatively low reading month for me with The Vampire Lestat finishing up. But low and behold I think I was one of my highest reading months so far! 18 books in total.

The Witchwood Boys Books: 2 - 4 by C.M. Stunich [🎧📱] [3.5]

This series was read at the very beginning of the month, so my memory on this one is a little fuzzy. But I have a love hate relationship with Mrs. Stunich. On one hand I absolutely LOVE her details! Like top tier, you are getting to understand the characters, the world, everything. On the other hand, OMG her books are soooo fucking long... I was happy that we finally got to the point where specifically Brooks and Lowe actually started to act like they actually like Kate. I high key HATE enemies to lovers / bully romance, so they were very hard sells for me when it came to their relationship. The sustained conversation of what Marlowe did to Kate (no matter what IT WAS SEXUAL ASSULT) was amazing and we watch as Lowe was coming into his feelings for Kate, as well as the guilt for what he did and the complexity of his needs at the time (wanting to leave the Witchwood) versus his wants now (being in a caring relationship with Kate). Also confrontation of Tyler's superficiality, him never really allowing Kate to see him for who he was and not the front he gives everyone. And finally Kate needing to be by herself and overcome her fear of loneliness. Overall enjoyed the series, just ended up being a bit of a slog at the end.

Hush Little Baby by E. Baileu [📱] [4.5]

I loved this book! And generally, I very much enjoy age-play books. I'm pretty new to the books of featuring age-play, but I did read Baileu's other dark age-play romance "Daddy's Muse" about the serial killer and his "lb" (little boy). And between the two of them this one was better. I know people are very suspicious of age-play to begin with, because of creeps who abuse the concept of it. But looking at a slightly darker aspect of it was interesting. Also, the dark part is more: A) the mc was essentially kidnapped and B) what happens during the twist. But reading about the trials and tribulations of being a poor disabled person who's just trying to live in capitalist American in the POV of Charlie felt poignant to me. While Nik is just someone who wants to give someone his love and care (all be in a high key psycho way) was beautiful. And don't get me started on the twist near the end that actually made me mad. Charlie and Nik were so cute and I love them!

Her Vicious Beasts By E.P Bali; Books .5-4 [🎧📱] [4]

Boy I DEVORED this series. This was a book-club book for my reading group. Technically it was only the prologue novella and the first book. Obviously, I went past that and loved every second of it. Interesting world where shifters live in our modern world with these (frankly) crazy powers. Loved Aurelia, loved Savage, loved Scythe, eventually loved Lyle and then there's Xander.... Look I was one the "Hate Xander Train" since the end of the prologue novella and beginning of the first book. It's amazing that by the end of the 4th book (Her Tortured Beasts) I disembarked the train. I can't wait to see where their story leads (especially with that ending on the 4th book). Probably going to re-read all of them when Her Monstrous Beasts audiobook comes out.

The Bonetti Bastards Series by Chelle Rose [🎧📱] [3.5]

So, I'll admit this series went by in a bit of a blur. Luckily, I still remember a lot of it, cause this series was wild! The FMC Heather's story was heartbreakingly sad. The abuses and brainwashing she experienced from her literal blood family were disgusting, and I fully supported her, when you as the reader learn about her plan. The triplets love for one another was admirable, but Killian definitely fucked up by being hardheaded and causing issues from then on. There were things that I felt moved a little too fast, and I can't fully explain how, just a feeling while reading the series. The tie in to the main Bonetti Brothers Series was fun especially when you realize who the triplets father was (Rest in Piss Francisco). And I'll be the first to say that the last book (Retribution) was really rough to read, because of scenes depicted fairly early on (incestous rape, physical and mental abuse) and the later on the said titular "Retribution" (pure and brutal torture and execution of Heather's abusers). There was a long chunk of the book that was a little slog-y, but I get having a long HEA after everything we read in the previous books and the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Series Love

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor Divergent by Veronica Roth His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman